Myddelton Grange
The Catholic Youth Retreat Centre for the Diocese of Leeds
Welcome to our website; this is the text-only version for older browsers and users with disabilites. For the original version please follow this link.

 

Home

Myddelton Grange is the purpose built Youth Retreat House of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Leeds. Opened in June 2002, this 46 bedded facility, set in more than 100 acres of mixed woodland and farmland, continues the work of retreat and spiritual renewal begun on this site by the Passionist Fathers in 1922. The primary mission of Myddelton Grange is to the young people of the Diocese, through their schools and parishes and additionally, to those outside the diocese and the students and staff of chaplaincies at Colleges of Further Education and Universities. The retreat House has 20 twin bedded and 4 single rooms. Two of the twin bedded rooms are disability adapted. (In the event that disabled facilities are not required these two rooms can accommodate 3 people).

There are 2 public rooms with seating capacity for 50 people and two smaller rooms, including the Library, which have seating for 20 and 12 people respectively.

 

Our Centre

A bit of history...

Myddelton has been a Catholic stronghold in the North of England since the 16th Century when the Middletons of Myddelton Lodge sustained the Catholic faith in and around Ilkley. Since 1922 Myddelton has been the site of a retreat centre, originally based in Myddelton Lodge and run by the Cross and Passion Fathers. In the mid 80s the Lodge was sold to the Diocese of Leeds and continued to run as a retreat centre until the year of the Great Jubilee 2000 whenthe decision was taken to redevelop the retreat facilities on the Myddelton site.

Myddelton Lodge itself was sold and the retreat house built by the Passionist Fathers in 1959 was demolished. In the following eighteen months a new residence and chapel were built on the site and the latter dedicated to St Mary and St Margaret Clitherow, was opened and consecrated by Bishop Konstant, on the Feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, 27th June 2002.

The new Retreat House, which can accommodate 44 guests, has a primary mission to the young people of the Leeds Diocese but at weekends and outside term times is available to adult groups, ecumenical groups and others who wish to take advantage of the excellent new facilities.

The Chapel

The Chapel is at the heart of the retreat centre and is dedicated to St Mary and St Margaret Clitherow. There are three main aspects to the design of the Chapel.

1. The steep pitch of the roof as a reminder of the Old Testament qahal or tent as a meeting point.

2. The octagonal shape is reflective of the shape of early baptisteries and reminds us of the first sacrament.

3. The use of wood and stone is a response to the simplicity and nobility called for in the Second Vatican Council. Mosaics in the chapel

In our Catholic tradition, it's important to remember that when we pray, we are not alone but we do so in communion with the saints, that is that they are praying alongside us. In the chapel at Myddelton Grange, we have reminders of some of the saints who pray with us in the form of mosaics. The saints which are represented in these mosaics also have significance to the local area as they all played prominent roles in generating, developing and defending the Catholic faith that we celebrate today.

Our Mission

In attempting to fulfil our primary mission to young people, we try to create a relaxed and friendly environment and provide retreats relevant to a young person's life experiences. Central to this work is the conviction that relationships with self, others and God cannot be treated in isolation; hence a retreat experience offers time to examine and strengthen all of these. We provide time for personal reflection and spiritual growth through a positive experience of living as a community.

Each retreat will contain structured social time, shared communal tasks and the exploration of a particular theme through group work, personal reflection and liturgy.

 

Contact us

Our Address:

Myddelton Grange Catholic Retreat Centre
Langbar Road
Ilkley
West Yorkshire
LS29 0EB

Phone: 01943 607887
Fax: 01943 885470
Email: info@myddeltongrange.org.uk

Prayer Requests:
retreat@myddeltongrange.org.uk